Step 1 of our newest experiment is complete. LOL. This is cauliflower, zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, onion, minced garlic, and a carrot. We are roasting this in the oven and then going to put it with whole grain pasta. Below, you will find our base recipe. We always add and increase ingredients 🙂
1 medium onion
1 small summer squash, or 1/2 medium winter squash
1 handful of mushrooms
1 small head cauliflower
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Non-stick cooking spray
1 (16 oz) package whole wheat pasta
Optional: 1 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
1/4 cup torn fresh basil or parsley leaves
1. Preheat oven 375 degrees F.
2. Rinse, and peel onion. Rinse squash, mushrooms, and
cauliflower. Chop vegetables into bite-size pieces, all
3. In a medium bowl, add oil, salt, pepper, and cut veggie.
Stir until veggies are well coated.
4. Spray a baking sheet with/ non-stick cooking spray.
Spread veggies on the baking sheet in a single layer.
Bake until veggies are browned at the edges, about 30-35
5. During the last ten minutes of baking time, cook pasta
package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water. Drain pasta.
6. In a large skillet, add veggies and drained pasta. Heat over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Stir frequently. Add some
of the reserved pasta water to moisten and make a sauce.
7. Transfer mixture to a serving bowl. If using grated cheese and fresh herbs, add now. Serve hot.
* To cut costs, use whatever veggies that are in season or on sale. Try different combinations like halved plum tomatoes and broccoli, or red onion and chunks of butternut squash. Or used thawed, frozen veggies. Be sure to pat dry before using.
* Try serving this dish with marinara sauce.
* Use any whole wheat pasta that you like, such as penne, rigatoni, shells, bow ties, or even spaghetti noodles.
* For more heat, add 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper to the veggies in step 3.